Wednesday, August 24, 2011

blinded from the truth



Moments after our wreck.

A few months ago I was serving in an area where my companion and I had to ride bikes everyday. It was fun... At first I was so excited. Screaming my screams of joy and riding as fast as I could. I thought that nothing could drag me down. But soon after I got set into a routine. I took no thought for extra dangers around me and I would just go where I needed to go.On one particular night I learned an important lesson. I was so focused on where we were going and what I wanted to accomplish that it was almost like I had blinders on... I turned into my companions bike, almost got away but was drug back in by our tangled handle bars. She bailed off and I was left with both bikes. I soon flew over my handle bars and landed under the bikes.  I was lucky to have
come away with only a baby bruise.

What does this have to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ? A lot actually. Sometimes it seems like we are just walking around in our own little worlds with blinders on. In some cases it can be a good thing. It may save us from the evils of the world and the destruction that can drag us down. But only some are lucky to come away with little bruises. I would like to talk about the blinders that shield us from knowing the truth. These blinders can also drag us down. Tangled in lies and deceit can only harm us. If we just take those blinders off and open our hearts then we can learn the truth of all things.  "And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things." Moroni 10:5

President Gordon B. Hinckley shared an experience of a family who took off their blinders:
"Thirty years ago David Castañeda; his wife, Tomasa; and their children lived on a dry, little, run-down ranch near Torreón. They owned 30 chickens, two pigs, and one thin horse. They walked in poverty. Then the missionaries called on them. Sister Castañeda said, 'The elders took the blinders from our eyes and brought light into our lives. We knew nothing of Jesus Christ. We knew nothing of God until they came.'"

Not only those who do not know of Jesus Christ have blinders on. Those of us that have a strong faith in Christ can also have blinders on that can harm us. This is also referred to as a "soft heart" if we have a soft heart then we are open to the promptings of the spirit. If we focus more on Jesus Christ and living with Him again, than our next appointment, or our next fishing trip, then we won't fall. We can not fail! If he is part of our lives every step of every day. As we remove those things that distract us from what matters most, as we become humble then we will be more open to listening and obeying the promptings of the Spirit. As we listen to the still small voice of the Spirit we will find all truth, and be lead to a greater understanding of Jesus Christ our Heavely Father and their plan for each of us.

Riding around blind is not fun. There will come a time when you will crash and fall. You might not fly over a set of handle bars, but it may be just as scary. Allow the Spirit to come into your heart. Allow the Spirit to teach you and to help you know more about the True Church of Jesus Christ. I know that when I have been the most humble is when I have learned the most. That is when the Spirit is able to come in and teach me. I am not on my own agenda but on the Lord's.

No comments:

Post a Comment