Wednesday, January 4, 2012

racing to repentance

So there I was flying down the race track at just over 100 mph, with the sun beating right down on me. Sweat dripping from my eye brow and the finish line just in reach I feel a jerk from something to my left and BAM.... I am sent back into reality. The race track faded and the noisy engines disappeared back into my imagination. Now faced with the real world I took off my stinky helmet and climbed out of the silent car.

Sometimes we find ourselves in imaginary worlds not ready or willing to face the reality and truth that is before us. We cover up sin, with rationalization or just by pure neglect to follow God's will. Whatever the case may be we send our minds into a universe that only we can see and hear. A place where we think no one can enter. Quentin L. Cook said, "Rationalization for bad choices will not be effective, but repentance will. Those who repent will be particularly blessed by the Atonement."

Repentance is real and it heals and blesses us as we allow Jesus Christ to come into our hearts. "And he hath power given unto him from the Father to redeem them from their sins because of repentance;" Helaman 5:11

Repentance is also hard. But I will be the first to tell you that it is worth it. Jesus Christ came to help us overcome our struggles and problems. The more I have turned to Him to allow Him to help me the closer I feel to Him. "Sincere repentance brings several results. We feel God’s forgiveness and His peace in our lives. Our guilt and sorrow are swept away. We feel the influence of the Spirit in greater abundance. And when we pass from this life, we will be more prepared to live with our Heavenly Father and His Son." (Preach My Gospel pg 62)

“Sometimes in our repentance, in our daily efforts to become more Christlike, we find ourselves repeatedly struggling with the same difficulties. As if we were climbing a tree-covered mountain, at times we don’t see our progress until we get closer to the top and look back from the high ridges. Don’t be discouraged. If you are striving and working to repent, you are in the process of repenting.”  Neil L. Andersen

Remove the rationalization, over come the pride and accept that Jesus Christ can heal you from the guilt and shame that you might feel in your life. I have felt it in my life and I pray that you will feel His love as you sincerely pray to be forgiven. I know that He can help! Step out of the race car and into the arms of the one who knows you and your trials far better then anyone else. Because He has been there and He knows how to help! "...and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people...and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities." Alma 7:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment