Wednesday, December 28, 2011

the power of a word

As we sat in our apartment studying a few mornings ago a man outside was yelling at his little dog to come back. The yelling gradually became louder and louder as he followed his scampering puppy down the sidewalk and right past our window. Harsh words cut deep into my heart as he cursed and screamed. Almost instantly the Spirit I felt as I was reading vanished. All horrible emotions flooded my mind. With fear, anxiety, tenseness and nervousness, we walked out to see if we could help. The feelings still didn't leave. As I sat down to continue my studies I still felt horrid on the inside. I said a quick prayer and just as fast as they came those horrid feelings fled leaving room for the spirit to fill my heart. Those horrible feelings were replaced with "love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith.." (Galations 5:22)

ImagePresident Joseph Fielding Smith states: “Profanity is filthiness. A person is known as much by his language as he is by the company he keeps. … Filthiness in any form is degrading and soul-destroying and should be avoided.” ('Profanity and Swearing' by Ted E. Brewerton)

We don't realize the power our words have. If we want the spirit to be with us we need to talk and act like we want it to be around. I never want to be around someone that is yelling like that man was.  Yelling, contention, screaming swearing all drive away the spirit of the Lord. Lets all watch a little more carefully how we speak!


No comments:

Post a Comment