Saturday, January 28, 2012

choosing a flat

Last night we were driving to some appointments and somehow, somewhere I ran over glass. The light came on making me aware that there was a problem. I pulled over jumped out and to my surprise our tire was completely flat. We got to safety and quickly called for some reinforcements. Not wanting to waste more time than needed my companion and I began to change the tire. We must have looked like we were in distress, or maybe we looked like we didn't know what we were doing. Either way a man came to offer us some help. As this man took over, he began talking to us about somethings that made my companion and I very uncomfortable. Trying to be patient and bear witness to him of my testimony of Jesus Christ, I could tell that he was not interested and came at us with more harsh words. Glancing at the road and praying ever so desperately for the strength of the Lord I started to sing a hymn. "Do what is right; let the consequence follow. Battle for freedom in spirit and might;" (Hymns 237) Do what is right rang over and over in my head.  Although this man was trying to be nice and help us out, we thanked him and told him we could handle it. Peace once again filled my heart as he walked away.

The Spirit can act as our "warning light" when we are paying attention. If we hear the quiet promptings of the spirit we need to access our danger level and sometimes if necessary call for reinforcements. Sometimes we might be in a situation that may seem harmless or controlable. Just like this man. We were grateful for the help. However we did not know the "spiritual danger" he carried with him. We had to choose what was right. A good choice... allowing him to continue to help us. Or a better choice... asking him to leave and allowing the spirit to be with us. Dallin H Oaks said this about choices. "As we consider various choices, we should remember that it is not enough that something is good. Other choices are better, and still others are best. Even though a particular choice is more costly, its far greater value may make it the best choice of all."

I am most grateful for the Spirit that helped us to make the "better" choice. Not long after the tire was free our help arrived and we felt safe once again. As we listen to the "warning lights" we will be able to make better choices. We will be kept safe from danger and harm. I testify that the Lord loves us and He send His Spirit to help us make these choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment