Saturday, December 10, 2011

a special Christmas

As the Christmas season approaches I cant help but think of the excitement and the joy of this wonderful Holiday season. The Prophet Thomas S. Monson said "This is a glorious time of the year, simple in origin, deep in meaning, beautiful in tradition and custom, rich in memories, and charitable in spirit. It has an attraction to which our hearts are readily drawn. This joyful season brings to each of us a measure of happiness that corresponds to the degree in which we have turned our mind, feelings, and actions to the spirit of Christmas."

Since I am away from my family and have been for over a year I have been thinking of something special that I could give them. "We all enjoy giving and receiving presents. But there is a difference between presents and gifts. The true gifts may be part of ourselves--giving of the riches of the heart and mind--and therefore more enduring and of far greater worth than presents bought at the store." (James E. Faust) As I have been thinking of this I have really caught on to the true spirit of Christmas. To me it doesn't matter what is under my tree, or in the mail. It matters that it came from someone that I love. The birth of Christ was not wrapped in sparkling paper with a HUGE glittering bow. It was not expensive and didnt take up a ton or room. It was a humble and quiet birth. So too my gifts should be. His birth and life was a testimony that Heavenly Father lives and that He loves us. The Atonement also was a gift of love. This Christmas I am going back to the basics. I am creating lasting gifts that will bring in the Spirit and touch the hearts of those that I love. What a better time to offer your testimony of the Savior Jesus Christ and to share how He blesses your life.

Step back for just a second. Remember the true meaning of Christmas and make this year a year to never forget. Make this season centered on Jesus Christ. After all He is the real reason to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment