Friday, December 16, 2011

500 yards of all pool

Growing up I was on the Swimming team.  I learned a lot from those hours in the pool. I learned a lot about hard work and endurance. I remember one specific event during a competition. My coach put me in an event that I wasn't used to swimming. I had to swim the 500 yard freestyle. That is it is down and back 10 times. It was a long event and took a lot of strength.  At the end of the pool right before my flip turn a friend would hold a board in the water counting down my laps. Letting me know how much longer I had, at my last lap the numbers were gone and all I would see was bright orange flashing before my eyes. At that moment I knew I was so close to the end. I would pick up my speed work harder and sprint faster then any previous lap. During those previous laps I had to keep the speed not slow down and keep pushing forward to the finishing goal. As a swimmer I understood the great need of endurance not only in the pool but in my life. If we can not endure then we will give in to anything and anyone.

I often think of Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith when I think of great people who have endured a lot. But what about the stories that aren't as well known. Your trials that you have endured. My challenges that I have had to work through, and many other people who keep their personal endurance to themselves?  What makes it possible for us to endure through these times?

"George A. Smith once received counsel from the Prophet: 'He told me I should never get discouraged, whatever difficulties might surround me. If I was sunk in the lowest pit of Nova Scotia and all the Rocky Mountains piled on top of me, I ought not to be discouraged but hang on, exercise faith, and keep up good courage and I should come out on the top of the heap at last.'" (Overcoming adversity)

This is what it takes. Exercising faith and hanging on. Usually when we say that we can not do it any longer is about the time that things start to get better. In the event above, at about lap 8 I would think that I could go no further. But I wouldn't give up. I wouldn't stop and hang on to the edge of the pool. I fought through the tough times and I pushed a little harder. Just a few laps later it was over and I was sitting on the side of the pool.

 "He that endureth in faith shall overcome the world" (D&C 63:20, 47) One of my lifetime goals is to Live with our Father in Heaven and His son Jesus Christ again. I want to be surrounded by my family and friends. I endure everyday because I will not give up on this goal. "If they endure unto the end they shall be lifted up at the last day" (1 Ne. 13:37)

May we all endure a little more in faith. Sure it is hard but I know that Heavenly Father will help you and lift you as you endure. Lets not slow down and but keep pushing forward to the finishing goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment