Wednesday, November 2, 2011

one language

Last night we were teaching a man, we shall call him Steven. Steven is from Mexico and speaks very little English. I am from Indiana and speak even less Spanish. My companion luckily is from Colombia and speaks English and Spanish. What a blessing it is that she is able to translate. Usually when we meet with Steven I sit there praying for my companion to be instructed on what to say and I sit there smiling like I know what is going on. Last night as we taught him something was different and something changed. A miracle that I will not soon forget. A lesson I am so thankful I learned.

I have often read 2 Nephi 31:3. It says "For the Lord God giveth light unto the understanding; for he speaketh unto men according to their language, unto their understanding." I would always think to myself  "Hey self there is one God (Ephesians 4:5) and He knows how to speak all languages." But as we sat in that lesson last night with Steven a new meaning to this scripture came to me. Here we were, the 3 of us, sitting around talking about the Book of Mormon and we understood each other. We literally understood one another and it took little translation. We felt the Spirit! And the Spirit of God taught us and instructed not only Steven but my Companion and myself. Thomas S. Monson taught: “There is one language . . . that is common to each missionary—the language of the Spirit. It is not learned from textbooks written by men of letters, nor is it acquired through reading and memorization.... Proficiency in this language permits one to breach barriers, overcome obstacles, and touch the human heart” (Preach My Gospel pg 133)

I am not perfect nor am I close. But I know that what President Monson said is true. Last night we breached barriers and each of our hearts were touched. The Spirit of God is real! If we can feel the Spirit and all learn in a lesson where we dont understand each other perfectly, think of how much the Spirit can touch hearts when we all speak the same language. It is real! I know that the Spirit comes when we are speaking truth. Through my experience last night my testimony has grown stronger and is rooted deeper into my heart. This is the Lord's Church once again established on the earth.(Intro to the Book of Mormon) I am so thankful for the Spirit and all that it teaches me! I know the Spirit can touch your heart like it did with our's last night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment