Wednesday, March 7, 2012

power of the priesthood

Not many people know this but I am in love with the Priesthood. OK not necessarily in love but I am so grateful for the wondrous gift that it is to be on the earth when we have this authority. I get so excited when I study about it! I wanted to share with you some of the wonderful aspects of its beauty.

"True to the faith" a book I love, tells us that Heavenly Father gives His Priesthood to worthy men "so they can act in his name for the Salvation of His Children." But this unique blessing isn't just given to anyone that walks up and says "Hey I want this power." In Hebrews 5:4 it says "And no man taketh this ahonour unto himself, but he that is bcalled of God, as was cAaron." Worthy men belonging to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints hold this Priesthood because it was restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith.

People often ask me if I am upset that I can not hold the Priesthood as a woman. I smile a little and tell them that I am not upset. This is the way that Heavenly Father intended it to be. But this morning it hit me in a new way as I studied. Another quote from "True to the Faith" that I really loved said "we all benefit from the influence of righteous priesthood leaders." This statement is so true! I have seen, heard, felt and loved the influence of the Priesthood in many ways. I don't have to "hold" the Priesthood to know its real or to have it bless my life.

Gordon B. Hinckley a late prophet of the Church said "The priesthood is here. It has been conferred upon us. We act in that authority. We speak as sons of God in the name of Jesus Christ and as holders of this divinely given endowment. We know, for we have seen, the power of this priesthood. We have seen the sick healed, the lame made to walk, and the coming of light and knowledge and understanding to those who have been in darkness.
  We have not acquired it through purchase or bargain. The Lord has given it to men who are considered worthy to receive it, regardless of station in life, the color of their skin, or the nation in which they live. It is the power and the authority to govern in the affairs of the kingdom of God. It is given only by ordination by the laying on of hands by those in authority to do so. The qualification for eligibility is obedience to the commandments of God.
   There is no power on the earth like it. Its authority extends beyond life, through the veil of death, to the eternities ahead. It is everlasting in its consequences."

I testify that the Priesthood is real! I have felt it countless times in many ways. I am so grateful for each of the men in my life that hold and honor their Priesthood! I am so thankful for a loving Father in Heaven that would allow this power to be on the earth for the Salvation of His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment