Thursday, March 15, 2012

image in His countenance

The secret is out. I once had a bright red fohawk. During my time in hair school I tried lots of different things. I am crazy and a little odd I know. Those who knew me knew it was my personality. those who didn't, were a little taken back, some were scared and some were receiving the wrong message about me.

Shortly after cutting and coloring my hair a close church leader of mine talked to me about my choice. He told me that he didn't like the hairstyle and that it was sending the wrong message to people. That I was not the kind of girl that the hairstyle was portraying me to be.

Lately I have been thinking a lot about modesty and Virtue. We as children of our Father in Heaven think that we must "stand out" or be our own person. Like me, some people take extremes and do things that are a little crazy. I have noticed a lot of these trends or fashions lately. Women dressing immodestly,  men wearing their pants really low, extreme piercing and tattoo's to name just a few. When we realize that our bodies are sacred gifts from God we gain more self respect. "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" (1 Corinthians 3:16)

Modesty in dress, grooming language and behavior refelcts our virtue. It also effects the way others stay virtuous. If we are dressing to "impress" the world then thoughts and actions are going to be taken out of control and spiral downward into a depth of sin and self disrespect. How often do things we do or say send the wrong message to those around us?

Elaine S. Dalton said “Virtue is a pattern of thought and behavior based on high moral standards. It encompasses chastity and moral purity. Virtue includes modesty—in thought, language, dress, and demeanor. Virtue provides an anchor on the path leading to our Heavenly Father’s presence. The paths of virtue lead to happiness in this life and in the life to come. The paths of virtue lead to strong families. The paths of virtue contain the foundation stones for the blessings of eternity. They lead to the temple.”

I know that each day we are sending message's to people in all things that we do. If we follow Jesus Christ and His gospel we should be sending messages of love and hope. We should be virtuous and modest. We need to show forth His light. I loved my crazy hair. I did not however like the things people thought about me and my hair. "I say unto you, can you look up, having the image of God engraven upon your countenances?" (Alma 5:19) Have you received His image in your Countenance?

1 comment:

  1. You, my dear, are an exceptional writer! Thanks for the reminder on virtue, sometimes it's hard to remember all it encoumpases. I love you to the moon and back, crazy hair and all!

    ReplyDelete