Thursday, September 8, 2011

learning to ask

When I was younger I had a hard time asking for help sometimes. There would be times I would be struggling with my homework, or something hard that I needed to do. I would start crying or freaking out, and I didn't understand why no one would come help me! I would get even more frustrated. One of my brothers would come along and say... "All you have to do is ask and I will help you." I hated when he told me this. When I would finally ask he would just jump right in like he had been helping me the whole time. He knew that I was struggling why couldn't he just offer the help? Now I understand why.  He needed me to ask. He wanted me to figure it out on my own. He could not force me to use his help.

This is much like Heavenly Father. I hear so many people say "Why doesn't God just give me what I want?" or "Why does God let me struggle and not help me out?" and many other things. Well my dear friend, its because He is waiting for us to ask Him! "...your Father knoweth what things ye have need of before ye ask him." 3 Nephi 13:8. I have learned this from my experiences as a child. Our Father is not just going to give us what we want. He is not going to force His help on us. He expects us to ask for them. Prayer is so powerful and is a beautiful commandment. 

When we pray we must be specific. Back when I was in Elementary School I lived just down the road from the school, and every morning I would walk. One morning I remember a great lesson I learned again from one of my brothers. I was walking through our yard when he asked me if I wanted him to "run" me to school. I was so excited thinking he was going to drive me! I quickly said yes and to my surprise he ran over to me picked me up like a big bag of potatoes and through me over his shoulder and began to "run" through the yard towards my school. Of coarse I was not happy. I started yelling at him that is not what I meant and he just laughed. Another lesson well taught.

Our Father in Heaven will not laugh at us when we go to Him in prayer. But He does want us to be specific. When we are specific with our questions or desires He can be specific with his answers and blessings. Asking Him to "show my the truth" can mean numberless things! The sky is blue, you are sitting in front of a computer right now, there is a big sun in the sky..... and so on. Now what do you think His answer would be if you asked Him "Is the Book of Mormon true?" or "Was Joseph Smith a Prophet?" or "Does the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints hold the proper Authority to baptize?" I know what His answer would be. I have had each of these questions, answered with a very specific and memorable experience. If you have not asked these questions I encourage you to do so now. Get on your knees and gain a spiritual witness that these things are true! You will not regret it!

From now on lets all pray specifically when we talk with our Father in Heaven. It will make our conversations with Him more meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment