Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I needed hymn

A few weeks ago as we sat in an appointment I could tell there was something wrong with my teaching companion Sister McCracken. We had just sang to our dear friend so I told my companion to tell me what was bothering her using titles and first lines of the hymns only. It took a moment and to my surprise she did a great job. I understood what was wrong and we were able to move on with the lesson we were teaching.

Just last week I had another interesting and powerful experience with the hymns. I sat in yet another appointment being poked and tested again. My poor little mind began to be frightened and my nerves started to jitter me around a little. Immediately without thinking I began to sing one of my favorite hymns. "I need thee ev’ry hour, Most gracious Lord. No tender voice like thine Can peace afford.  I need thee, oh, I need thee; Ev’ry hour I need thee! Oh, bless me now, my Savior; I come to thee!" (I Need Thee Every Hour) With each word slipping through my scared little lips the nerves vanished and the tense pain of the appointment crawled away.  With my eyes closed and focusing on the spirit of the song another song instantly came into my mind and overwhelmed me with so much peace. "Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed, For I am thy God and will still give thee aid. I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand, Upheld by my righteous... omnipotent hand."(How Firm a Foundation)

From this small and simple experience my testimony in Jesus Christ once again grew to a whole new level. I was scared and felt alone yet I knew He was with me. I am so thankful for His promise to His people in John 14:18 "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you" I know that day that Jesus Christ the Son of God came to me to comfort me! It was almost like He was singing right back to me. He knew I needed Him and He ran to my side. I am forever grateful for the love He has for me His unworthy servant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment