Wednesday, February 29, 2012

a self-reliant people

In the October 2011 General Conference President Dieter F. Uchtdorf gave a talk on being more self reliant. In this talk he shared a story that really made an impact on my heart. The story follows..

"In 1941 the Gila River overflowed and flooded the Duncan Valley in Arizona. A young stake president by the name of Spencer W. Kimball met with his counselors, assessed the damage, and sent a telegram to Salt Lake City asking for a large sum of money. Instead of sending money, President Heber J. Grant sent three men: Henry D. Moyle, Marion G. Romney, and Harold B. Lee. They visited with President Kimball and taught him an important lesson: “This isn’t a program of ‘give me,’” they said. “This is a program of ‘self-help.’”

As I have studied the teachings of the Savior through the scriptures I see the importance of being self reliant. Sure times get hard and things trials are all around us but if you weren't taught how to fish and only given fish... how will you ever get through these moments of stress? When we learn the these principles now, we will be more able to help ourselves later.

Robert D. Hales said “Our challenges, including those we create by our own decisions, are part of our test in mortality. Let me assure you that your situation is not beyond the reach of our Savior. Through Him, every struggle can be for our experience and our good (see D&C 122:7). Each temptation we overcome is to strengthen us, not destroy us. The Lord will never allow us to suffer beyond what we can endure (see 1 Corinthians 10:13).”

I am grateful that my parents have taught me the importance of hard work and self-reliance. I am grateful for my Savior who taught the people to be self-reliant. I know that this is the way to help us progress. Our Father in Heaven loves us and although He wants us to be more independent He will never allow us to fall.

The Lord has provided many helps and resources as we seek to be more independent. Go to http://www.lds.org/topic/self-reliance/index.html, or http://www.providentliving.org/  and learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment